Carp pole repair?

edited November 2008 in General
The top tube (with the camera) cracked and then bulged while I was bringing down the pole. Will duct tape be sufficient to repair the crack(s)? The split runs lengthwise.

Comments

• Worked for me when I trod on mine, just used black electrical tape.
  • Ok, I'll tape it up. I'm tempted to glue in a bit of doweling in the tube but it's already difficult enough to lift the pole. Thanks.
  • Sharon - Here is a late reply to the carp pole repair question. I recently effected a repair on the top section of my pole using an elegant carbon braided tube from CST Composites. This material is woven carbon strands in a configuration similar to a "Chinese finger trap." The tube is placed over the pole section and the wetted with epoxy, in my case clumsily. I think it was definitely overkill. Before applying whatever outer wrap you use I recommend wicking thin cyanoacrylate glue into the cracks and letting that set.

Good luck getting back into action.
  • Hi Kato,

I have found a good strong way is to use a combination of epoxy resin (Araldite) mixed into the broken area plus insulating tape wrapped around the outside. This is very strong (in fact stronger than original) and long-lasting. You just have to consider if you will be able to collapse the pole in the same way afterwards. Tape used alone seldom works well.
  • Thanks for all the advice. It is sad that the thinnest part of the apparatus has to bear the weight on the way up and down.
  • edited December 2008
    Depending on how it goes up and down, the stress from the weight may be less at the thinner camera end of the pole. When the pole is at an angle, leverage puts much more stress at the bottom of the pole.
  • I had to repair one section of my pole as somebody walked on it!
    I cut a section of an old fiberglass fishing rod which diameters were about the same. I slide this section over the damaged part after coating it with epoxy bond. The good thing with epoxy is to fill the gap between the rod and the covering section because two rods are never exactly alike. To avoid the epoxy to flood away when hardening, I taped each end of the covering section.
    It works now as usual, and the repair is not really noticeable.
  • No, I haven't repaired my pole yet, I keep forgetting to bring it home from work.

I plan on gluing the separated fibers and then wrapping with tape. I may use this tape (http://www.gemplers.com/product/160260/Bolder-Wrap). It's a "high-strength fiberglass bonding tape" that you wrap, spray with water and let set for 4 hours. It's supposed to be strong.
  • it is the lower sections of my Carbon carp pole that are cracking, as i slowly lift the camera up and down with the pole put together
  • I know this might be teaching you to suck eggs, but the best way to lift the camera is to put the foot of the pole against a solid object, hold the camera end and walk the pole up, if you have a camera more than a few ounces or a pole with weakness, it makes sense.
  • Here is the best way I've found to do carbon fiber or fiberglass repair to a shaft no matter what the diameter. Get a piece of woven carbon or fiberglass sleeve, match to close to the diameter of the part you're repairing. Choose a length with plenty of overlap, taking into account any damaged laminate including splits and cracks. Slide the sleeve over the area and even it up. wet the sleeve out with resin ( epoxy preferred), use a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wet sleeve and shrink down tight. Excess resin will ooze out so you'll need to wipe it off. You also have to remember to prep the repair first so the resin will stick.

http://sollercomposites.com/composites/carbon%20fiber%20sleeves.html#shrink

Here is a link to a guy that sells all you need including heat shrink. Be sure to use shrink tubing that won't stick to resin once it's cured.
  • I wanted to show my 4yo son's preschool class my PAP setup. As I was waiting for a teacher to confirm I can take pictures the kids gathered. As I politely asked the kids not to touch the pole (still on the ground), they swarmed the pole. Next thing I know I hear a big "CRACK". My 9.5m pole now has a crack at the 3rd section from the bottom. I'm going to try comment TCoatney's idea. The Fiberglass tape from Gempler's look like a good fix too, but I think the carbon/fiberglass sleeve is what I will try. More details to follow.
  • edited March 2010
    Here is a short description on repairing a long pole and other topics on pole photography
  • I don't know why the link is missing. Here a new try for becot.info
  • I fixed my pole :) ! should have practiced on a pvc pipe, but I was so eager to fix my pole and take more PAP pictures. The sleeve and epoxy worked out VERY well and is very strong. I wish my repair was prettier. I used way too much epoxy. My pole still nests inside itself for easy transport. I've taken two new sets of shots and will be taking more now that my pole is fixed - woohoo !
  • Don't know why I didn't see this thread before :)

I'm fixing a pole right now using the biaxial braided sleeve technique. I found it quite convenient to have the identical pole section to lay inside for alignment and to allow compression during set-up. The broken section was fairly shredded. I separated the two with parchment paper and a mold release.

I'm using two layers of braided sleeve and I'm quite convinced that this is complete overkill.
  • A few weeks ago I also damaged my pole. As with previous accounts this was down to poor handling. I mistakenly tried to force a section in while the pole was up at an angle rather than flat on the ground. I ended up with more of a tear than a split at the internal end of the section. I fixed it by lining the inside with 10mm strips cut off a roll of 50mm wide heavy duty weather proof polyethylene repair tape. These strips over lapped and were not laid straight but at a slight angle. Each piece was rubbed down to remove air bubbles and ensure secure adhesion before the next was added. The split/tear I flexed open and ran super glue (cyanoacrylate) into it. Once dry I sanded that back so that the end would fit again. To ensure no problems with the other sections I taped each of the internal ends in the same way and the external ends by wrapping the tape around the outside. I remember seeing a post recently where Brooks recommended taping kite spars to prevent splitting. This repair / modification has worked very well. The tape appears to be preventing not just splitting but also chipping that I have noticed can happen on the end. The pole still nests and is therefore just as easy to carry around. And yes my technique has improved and I take much more care when assembling and lifting my pole.

Martin
  • The last 3 messages are informative, thanks. Once I get my broken segment back from tgran (thanks a bunch!), I may try some reinforcing tape, too.

I've been thinking about a way to assemble/disassemble my pole vertically for situations when there is no "soft" ground, such as grass, for convenient horizontal work. I see it also as a way to avoid the stress of raising/lowering the pole. (I especially dislike "walking" the pole up because of the bouncing that occurs.) My current concept is to make a small stand in which the segments would all stand side-by-side. The stand would have a base or stakes that would keep it from tipping over. It should make it easy to "build" the pole from the top down using two hands, keeping the pole vertical at all times. It should also be easy to build the stand but I haven't done that yet. Meerstone's experience with assembling segments that weren't properly lined up gives me some concern. Any thoughts?
  • Tom the trick with good joining is to assemble the sections with a slight twist and don