New Product: clickPAN-SDM

Comments

• Thanks, David. My apologies to M. Barnich.
  • I redid the A570 battery test with recharged eneloops. The 360PT.BAs script took 580 photos in 2 hours 50 minutes before the camera switched itself off.
  • That would surely be more than enough to wear out my feet.
  • I've got a question about SDM, motion detection, and the clickPAN-SDM:

Is there any provision for doing color filtering in the motion detection algorithm? And if not, would it even be possible?

I'm working on a couple of angles for taking ortho pictures of open water, with the goal of photographing large marine mammals. I got to do a test run a few weeks ago with a fellow photographer out here, and among other things I tried pointing the camera straight down and rapid-firing frames until a chip filled up. No large marine mammals, unfortunately, but I wound up with a collection of open water ocean frames to play with. The color is VERY consistent from frame to frame, though there's a lot of changing pixels across the frame because of the wave action and the reflection of sunlight off the wave tops. But if it was possible to exclude bright white pixels and the predominant pixel color (blue) anything else in the frame would pop out. It would be really neat if that kind of filtering was available in-camera.

I realize I'm stepping way off the edge of the map here into the territory marked, "Here there be dragons," but if I don't ask the question the answer defaults to no.

Thanks,

Tom
  • edited March 2010
    Tom

the motion-detection command in SDM (and CHDK) lets you detect motion based on changes of luminance (Y), blue
  • As far as I know, the CHDK version only supports luminance (Y) despite what the WIKI says.

The other modes do not work.
  • edited March 2010
    OK, my second clickPAN-SDM shipment has arrived. Dunno what happened to the first one -- still out there somewhere. But now the new toy is available in the USA.

It's listed about 2/3 of the way down my Parts page.
  • edited March 2010
    I was wondering if it would be possible to combine the minimum camera shake SDM script with these clickPAN-SDM scripts. The idea is let the camera wait until shake is at minimum, shot, and then send and order to the servo to go to the next position, repeating the cycle. Does this makes sense? Don't know if this is what benedict was refering to in his comment above.
  • Vicente - it's not only possible it's pretty trivial. In the sample scripts, a small subroutine issues the actual 'shoot' command. Replace this with a "shoot_when_camera_steady" command and the scripts will do exactly what you describe. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll add it to the manual!
  • Got my clickPAN-SDM from brooxes today. Super excited to test it out and start writing some custom scripts!

1. Removed AuRiCo from AutoKAP rig, which will now be my ClickPAN-SDM AutoKAP rig.
    2. Installed test scripts onto G9 and G11 with SDM 1.83.
    3. Attached old 4.8V rechargeable Battery from tower hobbies to ClickPan-SDM
    4. Velcroed the sensor to the G11
    5. Connected Servos ensuring that the white wire was on top by the writing/type
    6. Started Tilt.bas script
    7. Nothing, Nada, zip. ("Wah wah wah waaaahhhh' theme playing in my head.)

I can see that the AF lamp is activating, at least on the G11. What could I be missing? I was under the impression from the documentation that the script should start by setting the servo to position zero. Pressing the +/- dial does nothing. I've repositioned the velcro a couple of times, but I'm positive that it's getting the light directly to the sensor. I know that the servo has power as it jumps a bit when I turn the power switch to the on position.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Everything sounds fine, the little "pulse" through the servo is "normal". I think you are the first G11 user and there is one "calibration" that may be different from the other cameras this has been tested on. But before I go there I'm wait for Dave Mitchell to see if there is anything obvious.
    James
  • Mike - the G9 is supposedly quite similar to the A650 I have which works fine with the clickPAN-SDM. Have you tried yours? If the clickPAN-SDM works with the G9, then I think James or I can tell you how to calibrate it for your G11.
  • Yes, I tried the G9 with the same results. However, I don't see the AF lamp ever light up on the G9, like I do with the G11. I'll fiddle with it again when I get home tonight, but so far, it's not liking either of my cameras.
  • Mike, if the light didn't light up, could you check the following on your G9:

1. go to the SDM Advanced Menu/Serial Comms
    2. check that "use autofocus LED' is set on (i.e. there's a dot between the square brackets - [*])
    3. and the "unit pulse width" is set to 10
    4. and the "tune msec value" is set to 22

These are the right values for all the cameras David Sykes, James Gentles and I have tried. As I said, since it works for the A650, I'd expect it to work for the G9 too. The autofocus LED should definitely come on if item 2 is true.

If the LED comes on on the G9 and the servos move, then at least the clickPAN-SDM is working OK. Then we can move on to get the G11 working.
  • The settings were already set to what you described above on both cameras. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the G9, as I still don't see the autofocus lamp light-up when using the test-scripts, even though the "use autofocus LED" is set to on. The G11 seems to run the script fine as the lamp lights up. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. I have another Canon powershot, but it doesn't have SDM for that model. The G9 is mainly my backup KAP camera at this point, and runs my intervelomer CHDK scripts just fine. I realize that you were going to try and use the G9 to test to see if the Clickpan-sdm works, but it appears that there might be a problem with the autofocus led. I'd be happy to try and test other settings on the G11 when you get a chance.
  • Mike, it seems like a stupid thing to say, but have you tried using the autofocus light as it's intended (for close focus in dim light), just to see if it's working?
  • Yes, I tried that. Thanks.
  • Mike,
    let us check the AF led on the G9.
    It is possible the original CHDK port is incorrect.

Try this script :-

@title AF test
    blink_af_led_for 5
    end

or this script :-

@title AF test
    af_led_on
    sleep_for_seconds 5
    af_led_off
    end
  • Can I thank Dave and Dave for their excelent support for clickPAN-SDM whilst I was "indisposed".
    30th March and 500mm of snow in central Scotland, probably not the best day to travel 100miles to give a KAP lecture!
  • James....same for me....stuck in Limerick Ireland - snow, sleet, heavy rain and a stiff wind...no KAPing yet.....still hope....

Mike - hope you get things sorted out with your G9

WW
  • David:

Thanks, but the scripts you gave me yielded nothing from the G9. Dave Mitchell also sent me a calibration script for the G11, and wasn't able to get any response from the servos at any level. :(

Mike.
  • This is just a status report on my progress with click Pan-SDM. Although my pole rig is not quite complete, it is far enough along to test out the electronics. I've just finished marking the tilt values for the tilt servo by running TILT.BAS. I'm having no problem with the AF light but since my A570IS is the same model that seems to have been used in early development, that is happily not a surprise.

The programming looks like a nice little piece of fun. I'm pretty slow writing programs so it may be a while before I have a finished product. I really like the ability to use parameter sets, since I anticipate running the same program with different tilt and pan settings. There won't be much in terms of camera changes or shooting intervals.

So far, I'm a happy camper.

PokyTom
  • PubUltraStar, I had hoped to be able to offer ideas after setting up my own click pan-SDM but the only think that I can think of is that your click pan-SDM sensor or peanut are faulty. You've got 2 cameras with one having a working AF light and the other questionable. Do your servos work with the AuRiCo and the same battery pack? If so, it seems to come down to the new electronics. But I'm only guessing. Good luck.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the advice. The servos works fine with the AuRiCo and same battery pack. The battery is from my first remote kit from tower hobbies, but upgraded to a spektrum 2.4ghz on my primary rig this year, so I used the battery pack from the old one. I did test the G9 without SDM or CHDK and I can get the lamp to come on for close up's with the camera set to auto, so I know that the lamp works. Just doesn't work with any of the test scripts for clickPAN-SDM. Maybe the port for the G9 has some issues.

At this point, I'd be happy to send the clickpan back so that someone can verify the one that I have works.
  • Send it back, Mike. I'll send you a new one, and then we should have a better idea where the problem lies.

http://www.brooxes.com/
  • Mike,

the CHDK port is incorrect.

What is the firmware version of your G9, I will upload a new build ?
  • I'm happy with my click pan-SDM's relationship to my A570IS so far. But I'm even happier to see the attention that is being paid to supporting this new invention with nearly immediate response to problems. In what other field would one expect anything more than being put on hold for a long time in order to talk to a "tech" service only to get indefinite answers and few results?

I would also like to compliment Dave Mitchell on his documentation and the sample scripts, which I might be able to use with very little customization. A real bargain!

PokyTom
  • OK, one more excited comment. I described to my wife how this gizmo basically works: It's like the camera is talking to the servos in a code not unlike Morse code that is transmitted by light. I can't wait to explain it to curious bystanders when I am in the field running my rig on top of my pole! Right now, this device seems about as unique (worldwide) as you can get.
  • Yes, the support feedback has been great.

I'm running 100d on my current G9, and I can verify that it's the correct firmware tonight when I get home. Brooks: I'll wait until I test the updated G9 build from David before sending it back.
  • Mike,

please try this version :

http://www.zshare.net/download/745150097270b0bd/

Do you have any other SDM-supported cameras that you could try ?

The time-zone difference slows-down progress, cannot do much about that :-)