New Product: clickPAN-SDM

Comments

• After Michael L's valuable input further up this chain I can confirm that any clickPAN-SDMs sold from Brooxes / KAPshop / Gentles now have enough parts in the bag to power the device from a male or female servo connector or just wire-ends.

This gets round any potential soldering issues for most users.

James
  • Hello
    First of all, sorry for my English and the mistakes you will find here or there.
    This is my first real post there, even if I know this excellent kap forum since so many years. Many, many thanks for Chris and all of you.
    I have a CP SDM from James G. and wanted to use it with a canon A570 and my new G11.
    Everything is working perfectly with the A570 (SDM on board, CP SDM working fine with the APN lamp driving the servo through CP SDM).
    I got the correct SDM file for my G11 (). SDM is working fine on the G11, but there is no move from the CP SDM with the same script working on the A570 a few seconds before, whatever the position of the transistor in front of the lamp.
    I follow the Q/A between PulUltraStar and Dave, David, James
  • So far, there has not been confirmation from anyone else that the G11 has its own particular problems ?

Do you have the servo calibration script that I believe Dave can supply ?

David
  • Philippe - here's the calibration script I sent to Mike. It lets you change the "tune msec value" systematically to see if a value other than 22 is needed.

It assumes the tilt servo is servo 2 so set the 't' parameter to '1' if you've plugged the tilt servo into that slot. Pressing the Up and Down keys will alter the "tune unit pulse value" up and down from the starting value of 22. Pressing left and right should the tilt servo back and forth once the unit pulse value is in the right region. I suggest exploring the whole range (the script lets you move the value between 7 and 28) and find the upper and lower values where the servo moves, then set the camera permanently to use the middle value (via the Advanced Menu/Serial Comms menu).

@title simple clickPAN-SDM Calibrator
    @param t tilt servo (1 or 2)
    @default t 2

rem Set-up Stuff
    p = 22
    i = 1
    a = 0
    use_af_led
    tune_unit_pulse p

print "Up & Down alter unit pulse
    print "Left & Right move servos
    print "unit_pulse is now", p

while 1=1
    wait_click 1000
    if is_key "up" then gosub "up"
    if is_key "down" then gosub "down"
    if is_key "left" then gosub "left"
    if is_key "right" then gosub "right"
    if is_key "set" then gosub "set"
    wend
    end

:left
    a = a + 5
    if a > 30 then a = 30
    gosub "send"
    return

:right
    a = a - 5
    if a < -30 then a = -30
    gosub "send"
    return

:up
    p = p + i
    if p > 28 then p = 28
    print "unit_pulse set to", p
    tune_unit_pulse p
    gosub "left"
    return

:down
    p = p - i
    if p < 7 then p = 7
    :set
    print "unit_pulse set to", p
    tune_unit_pulse p
    gosub "right"
    return

:send
    if t = 1 then send_data a, -128
    if t = 2 then send_data -128, a
    return

rem end of script
  • edited April 2010
    delete
    double message!
  • many thanks for these quick answers.
    but so far no move from the servo... AND no light from the AF Lamp of the G11.
    I will try to explain the situation more precisely.

A570 + SDM(A570a) + CP SDM = OK
    for example I ran the 360PT.bas, and got tilt and pan moves, with flash light from the orange AF lamp. pictures OK.

G11 + SDM (G11f correct firmware) + the same scripts package = !
    for example I ran the same 360PT.bas. I see the program running on the screen (with no syntax error message!) but no flash light from the white AF lamp... and no move from the servos if the CP SDM device is set in front of the lamp (no surprise IMHO). pictures OK.
    I checked the G11 menu and the AF light is ON.
    I checked the G11 in low light, and the AF lamp works fine.
    I checked the SDM advance menu... and the AF lamp is set on [
  • Phillipe,

with 83 firmware versions currently supported not every possible feature has been tested on every firmware version.

So, copy the following to a simple plain text file named test.bas, for example :-

@title AF led test
    sleep_for_seconds 2
    af_led_on
    sleep_for_seconds 3
    af_led_off
    end

Run the script, does the AF led light ?

David
  • David

Done.
    No light from the AF led lamp :(

Philippe
  • I will check later, it is almost 2 am in UK.

David
  • edited April 2010
    I do not see how Mike's G11 could possibly blink the AF led.

The code is very simple, you need to know the address of the Canon _LedDrive firmware function and a table of numbers that define the particular led.

The G11 (and S90) porter has confirmed these numbers are not in any particular order (as they should be) !.

The led that flashes at present is not the AF led ... which is on the front of the camera.

Phillipe, download this build :-

http://www.zshare.net/download/7487816778400915/

and run this script :-

@title led test
    @param a led (4-10, 6 unused)
    @default a 9
    line_1 " LED number ",a
    sleep_for_seconds 2
    set_led a 1
    sleep_for_seconds 3
    set_led a 0
    end

Tell me which led lights and its colour for each number (apart from 6).
    (change parameter 'a').

David
  • David

At work at this time.
    I will try tonight.

Philippe
  • David

Good news and Bad news...

Bad news: when I put the SDM 184 package on the SD card, I erased everything... on my 4GB USB flash drive :(
    Lesson learned: do read the message, and take off the USB flash drive before formatting your SD card.

Good news (I hope)
    I downloaded the 184 build and ran the led test:

results:
    4 WHITE
    5/7/8/9/10 Nothing
    6 unused so no test

Philippe
  • Maybe I misunderstand that command.

Try values 0 to 6.
  • edited April 2010
    results:
    4 WHITE
    0/1/2/3/5/6 Nothing visible
  • edited April 2010
    I do not see any mention of a WHITE led in the camera manual.

While we are waiting for the CHDK porter to confirm the values are incorrect, download this version and run script with all values 4 to 8 :-

http://www.zshare.net/download/74894149ba2e3d80/
  • From feedback from a G11 user, that last build should light the autofocus assist light at the front of the camera for values 4 AND 9.

In that case, the clickPAN-SDM scripts should work.
  • Received the replacement Click-PAN today. I wasn't able to get the G9 or the G11 to work with the new one either. I even re-soldered the battery switch to the female port. I suppose that this means that the original click-pan probably works, and that there is something wierd about the G9 and G11 we need to figure out. Something I didn't mention before, is that my G9 has a green autofocus lamp, while the G11 is white and isn't consistent like the G9 when appearing. Not sure if the color of the lamp matters. I pulled an all-nighter at work last night in the Data Center (Attn. interested Geeks and Nerds: I was implementing a new Blade Center, SAN, switches and VMWare upgrade), so I'm pretty tired. I'll tinker around with it in the next few days and see what I can come up with.

Mike.
  • From feedback from a G11 user, that last build should light the autofocus assist light at the front of the camera for values 4 AND 9.
    In that case, the clickPAN-SDM scripts should work.
    I downloaded the last build (http://www.zshare.net/download/74894149ba2e3d80/ ) and ran the led test:

results:
    4 WHITE
    0/1/2/3/5/6/7/8/9/10 Nothing

Philippe
  • On older cameras, we know the memory addresses that control the on/off of various led's.
    They are off or fully on.

On newer cameras, we do not deal with addresses .. even though they still exist.
    We use a Canon function that can set a particular led to a certain brightness.
    That is the code that is not working properly.

As I have not heard from the G11 porter, but do know the addresses of three led's, in attached version I have used the old method.

This is confirmed as working.

http://www.zshare.net/download/7491425536dd60ad/

I am a bit wary of the new led drive method as it modulates the width of a pulse going to the led !
    That said, at 100% brightness you would not expect any modulation.

The G9 uses the older drive method.

David
  • David
    Maybe, I misunderstood your last post.
    anyway, Itried with the last data (http://www.zshare.net/download/7491425536dd60ad/) and the same led test on the G11.

different results, this time:
    9 WHITE
    0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/10 Nothing
  • edited April 2010
    A G11 tester reported the following with that build :-

4, 5: EV dial
    7,8,10: Program/ISO dial
    9: AF

It will be the same for all G11 firmware versions so I find your result impossible to explain.

Anyway, the clickPAN-SDM scripts should now blink the autofocus-assist led.

EDIT:

Since writing the above, the G11 porter has provided information that confirms he has not used the 'standard' reference numbers for the led's.
    That caused the SDM code to fail.

After Phillipe responds, I will decide whether to change the code.
    We know that all the led's CAN be controlled.
  • Slow progress with the G11 ....

Mike, what firmware version is your G11 camera ?
  • edited April 2010
    My G11 is running GM1.00K, and won't boot using the DISKBOOT.BIN file you posted above.

(The 1.83-148-g11-100j-57 version that you had e-mailed me works with SDM and running a standard script, but this version still has issues with the AF Lamp...)
  • Success! David sent me a new firmware and script, and I was able to make the original clickpan SDM work on the G11. Now, I'll need to tweak the values to find the optimal numbers to use, and start writing some scripts! Thanks for the help.

Brooks: I'll be sending the replacement back, since the original is working. I appreciate the effort.

Mike.
  • Good on ya, Mike. thanks, guys.

http://www.brooxes.com/
  • edited April 2010
    Hurrah !

I was beginning to get worried.
    In SDM Advanced\Serial Comms menu, I allow tweak values up to 35 BUT the supplied scripts only allow 28 maximum.

The A570, for example, is DIGIC III processor and VxWorks operating system.
    The G11 is DIGIC IV and DRYOS.
    Assuming it executes instructions faster, you will need more of them to waste time for one msec.
    That is what the tweak factor is related to (but not the same).

clickPAN-SDM nominal tweak is 22 and the maximum of 28 is simply not enough.

Of course, this affects other cameras.
    I don't know if it just depends on processor or operating system as well :-

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers

Just to be clear, a new SDM build is NOT required.
    The maximum value in the supplied scripts just needs changing, to 35 for example or maybe 50.

David
  • I just want to say that I am a bit lost ?

David said:
    I do not see any mention of a WHITE led in the camera manual.

Correct. The manual indicates AF beam with no mention of any color. On my G11, the AF beam color is white. Just to know if my G11 is special, what is the color of the AF beam on the other G11.

David said:
    Just to be clear, a new SDM build is NOT required.
    PubUltraStar said:
    Success! David sent me a new firmware and script, and I was able to make the original clickpan SDM work on the G11.

Great! If I understood, we shall use SDM 1.83. Correct?
    Could you share this new firmware (.bin ?) and script or is it a beta version at this time?

David said:
    clickPAN-SDM nominal tweak is 22 and the maximum of 28 is simply not enough.
    In SDM Advanced\Serial Comms menu, I allow tweak values up to 35 BUT the supplied scripts only allow 28 maximum
  • Phillipe,

first confirm that with the last build I gave you the link for, when you run the led test script a value of '9' lights the white AF-assist led at the front of the camera.

Next, list here the first clickPAN-SDM script that you would like to try.

I will then tell you what to change.

David
  • edited April 2010
    first confirm that with the last build I gave you the link for, when you run the led test script a value of '9' lights the white AF-assist led at the front of the camera.

Itried with the last data (http://www.zshare.net/download/7491425536dd60ad/) and the same led test on the G11.

as I said before, the results were:
    9 gave WHITE AF beam
    0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/10 Nothing (visible)

Next, list here the first clickPAN-SDM script that you would like to try.

I would like to try the 360PT script, if possible.

Philippe
  • Mike has not yet stated what the optimum tuning value is so, for now, set it to 35 in Serial Comms menu.

Try running 360PT.

David