New Product: clickPAN-SDM

Comments

• David

In the serial comms menu I change the Tune msec value and set it to 35

I ran the 360PT script and ClickPAN SDM was able to take picture (GREAT !!!!) but was not able to drive the servo.
    Anyway, this is promising
  • Does the AF-assist led at the front of the camera flash when you run the script ?

David
  • the answer is YES

Philippe
  • Reducing the tune msec value by one unit and try again.

Repeat until you reach 22.

David
  • David

Itested my [Click PANSDM first on my canon A570 360PT script SD card1 + servo and battery]= set TEST570: everything is working fine.

I ran the 360PT script already on board on the G11 SD card2 (and already working (intervallometer)) with different tune msec from 35 to 22. I can see AF beam for each value, but without any move on the servo.

after that I tested again my set TEST570. everything is still working fine (so battery connectors, ... still OK).

Philippe.
  • Philippe, I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I found the optical sensor of the clickPAN-SDM to be very sensitive to placement over the AF lamp. Here's what I wrote:

I then held the optical sensor about half a centimeter from the AF assist lamp and angled it so that the light from the AF lamp reflected off the optical sensor directly into my eye. Each time I saw a strong flash, the servos moved properly. I then tried to place the optical sensor above the AF lamp, attached by velcro, and the servos stopped moving. After repositioning the sensor over the AF lamp, the servos started working again. I was still not totally convinced that the problem wasn't a faulty wire connection at the optical sensor, but after repositioning the sensor above the AF lamp many times and restarting the script, everything now seems to be working properly every time.

I don't know if this is the reason your servos are not moving, but it's worth a try.....
  • Michael

thanks for the advice.
    I saw your earlier post but didn't try this option since your last post. I just tried a few positions with a few values but witout any move from the servo.
    I agree the AF beam is very directionnal but I had no problem with the A570 (different led...) with no special care repositioning the Velcro in place in front of the led.

Anyway, my G11 battery is exhausted (so am I) after a few hours of tests. I'll take a little break and I'll study any further proposal
  • I don't know when I'll acquire another Canon model. Which models are actually being used with the new click pan-SDM? If the A570IS is representative of the A series, will all the SDM-compatible A series models work well with click pan-SDM?

I'm really enjoying this invention. I'm rethinking all the possible PAP subjects around Boise. (I'll also be using it for KAP but haven't done so yet.)
  • Philippe,

Try a value of 39 or 37 for the tune msec value. I'm testing a beta version of SDM for the Canon S90, and both those values seem to be working well. I believe the S90 hardware and processor is quite similar to the G11, so one or both of these values just might work. It's worth a try.

PTom, I should be taking more photos with the S90 soon. My initial impression is very favorable, but I really haven't taken enough photos with it yet to be able to recommend it. The size and weight are right for both lightweight KAP and PAP. The build quality seems very, very good. It has a larger than usual sensor for a point and shoot and even has metal tripod threads......a sure sign that they were trying a bit harder.
  • edited April 2010
    Michael

As I said in a previous post,

I have seen where to change the value in SDM Advanced\Serial Comms menu\tune msec, but I don
  • Sorry Philippe, I don't know the answer to that. In a previous post, David Sykes said something about changing the script to allow the maximum msec value to be higher than 35, but I don't see where in the script that should be done. I believe that the beta version of SDM for the S90 that he sent me allows me to change the tune msec value up to a maximum of 99 in the Serial Comms menu. You either need to find a proper script statement that will allow a value above 35, or get David to create a new version of SDM for the G11 which allows higher values in the Serial Comms menu. Unfortunately I can't help you with either.
  • The comment about changing the range in the script refers to the special calibration scripts that James and I have supplied to a few individuals - not the standard ClickPanSDM scripts on the websites. In these "Calibrate" scripts which let you change the 'tune msec' value both James and I restricted the range between 7 and 28. It's that 28 that needs to be upped to 35 (or higher if David S supplies a build which supports a higher value).
  • Dave

OK understood
    I'll wait for further developments
  • Phillipe,

please try this version http://www.zshare.net/download/75396110c14753db/
  • David

I tried this last version with 360PT script and I've got movement-on the tilt and pan servo for value >33.

I tried 33 34 35 so far.
    Servo movements are a bit surprising and I think they need a fine tuning.
    Anyway, you made a great job!

Michael said:
    David, James, and Dave, absolutely fantastic work. My glass is raised to you!!
    I'm still finding it quite surreal that my camera is controlling the servos.......

I fully agree
  • That is some progress.

It is still not clear to me from your and Mike's comments, if this is working 'properly' .

David
  • edited April 2010
    David

with my G11
    I can use this script (rem oscillating pan/tilt script for ClickPAN-SDM - Dave Mitchell rem assumes modified 360 degree pan servo)
    with this version http://www.zshare.net/download/75396110c14753db/ 1.84

I set the time msec value to 40

there is no more creeping and the servos seem to move properly with the step of the program

Philippe
  • Thanks, that is good to know.

The 'proper' technical way to determine optimum tuning value is described here :

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/clickpan/S0calibrate.htm

Download the script http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/clickpan/cps-cal.zip

Tuning value can go to 99.

However, not everyone feels like doing this test.

Now, try the other scripts provided and let us know if they work.

David
  • edited April 2010
    David (and James)

I went there: http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/clickpan/S0calibrate.htm

but I am not sure to understand this:
    3 Connect the unused white wire on the 3pin S0 (or battery) connector to the battery negative (black) wire. This makes clickPAN-SDM enter the special calibration mode.

I prefer to ask before I make a mistake/ Does that mean, you leave the battery connector in place and you short the white and black? strange !!

Phillipe
  • Philippe, send me a message to kiteaerialphoto (at) gmail.com and I'll send you a link to a video I create last night. I want to see if you are getting similar results.

Mike.
  • edited April 2010
    S0 is an input so it is OK to short it to ground.

The only outputs are on the 6-pin connector for the two servos.

I do not know what the battery connector looks like on the latest shipped versions but on the prototype unit that I have it is not very convenient to connect the wire to ground.

But ... it has to be done for a camera that we are trying to find an accurate tunung value for.

David
  • Mike
    Got problem at this time to send any mail. don't know why! will try again later on.

David
    I do not know what the battery connector looks like on the latest shipped versions but on the prototype unit that I have it is not very convenient to connect the wire to ground.
    I confirm. thanks for the answer.

Philippe
  • Mike

Done!

Philippe
  • David and Mike

Feel sorry but things are not so simple on my side
    G11 SDM 1.84 S0calibrate cps-cal script 1 servo, battery OK, AF beam and transistor OK/in place

Mike
    had a look at your video
    I haven't got these kind of movement during my test (shaking)

David
    when I read the S0 Calibration Routine, I don't know exactly when to stop the short between the white and ground(black).
    before inserting servo in S1
    before inserting servo in S2
    after the whole test with the script

anyway, I made a few tests with no stable result.

I am doing something wrong somewhere.
    to be continued...
  • You should leave the short in place for the entire test. Think of the short as a switch that puts the device in an alternate calibration mode.

I have updated the S0 Calibration Procedure to clarify some of the questions in this thread

James
  • edited April 2010
    James
    Thanks for the additional Informations. I read the S0 calibrate procedure once again, checked everything, and discovered I named "2" the side n
  • Michael reported 37 for the S90 but that was not from a proper calibration test.
    So, maybe that is 35 as well.

Phillipe,

I assume you have removed the temporary link to ground ?

David
  • David said:
    I assume you have removed the temporary link to ground ?

YES... :)
    But, You can never be too careful.
  • You noticed, of course, the command :-

tune_unit_pulse 22

in both scripts :-)

Guess what it should be ?

David
  • David

OK OK
    a whole new world to explore... programming uBasic and tuning for each camera (and with CP-SDM fine tuning for specific servo, if necessary).
    I had a look at the structure of the program, a few days ago, and this reminded me when I learn to program basic language, long time ago!
    I'll try to dive in it again just a little bit, for the fun.

Anyway, I swapped 22/37 and 22/35 in the script (turn and rotate) with the same value in the tune msec.
    I found it more reliable with 35, for the moment.

I have to explore the command and the structure of the program to understand the way the servo reacts to the new parameters.
    it is not linear and a bit surprising for me.
    in fact, I have a lot to learn...

Philippe