Diving Triton

edited April 2012 in Kites
I'm new to KAP flying but I did have a good first flight with my Triton - until it suddenly took a dive all of the way to the ground. I have some photos at http://www.reesphotos.com/TEMP/KiteCam/
In the 4th photo you can see the dive and the fact that the camera is still in position shows the suddenness of the dive.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Comments

• I find that the wind range of the Triton is pretty slim. It'll fly well in a very gentle evening breeze, but as soon as the wind picks up it easily overpowers and goes for the ground. Even though I've had a Triton for over a year, I haven't yet hung a rig from mine because of this.

This unwanted behaviour may be countered somewhat by using a fuzzy tail (or two) of at least 15m/50ft. But the effect is limited. I'd say the short tails I see in your pictures are ineffective.
  • Yes it does happen on occasion, let more line out rapidly or run towards the kite. This allows the Triton to recover before the thud!

I flew my Triton tail end of last week, it started flying directly over my head as the wind dropped, then did several figures of eight directly above me. Scary as I'd a rig attached and was very near a lake. My first thought was a thermal, but this was an overcast day. This was a very gentle behaviour but disconcerting all the same and not a wind condition I'd encountered before. I often fly without a tail or just one centre mounted 5m fuzzy.

Something to watch is the diagonal spares in the wing pockets, make sure they are pushed down well into the pockets. I had one the had moved upwards out of the pocket by a few cm, causing the kite to lean to one side during flight.
  • In reply to Erick

I love flying a rig on mine, 750 to 1000gsm depending on the rig configuration, get the right wind and the rig just hangs there directly under the kite with slack line between you and the rig. Give it a go, if the wind picks up just increase the bow and the tow point knot furthest from the kite.
  • My Sutton 16 did a figure eight today
    the wind wasn't harsh at all but I was very close to ground so I assume it was a turbolent or something.

By the way,
    Does a Triton is a similar kite as a "Genki" ?

They looks pretty much the same except for a vent holes.
  • Does a Triton is a similar kite as a "Genki" ?

Prety much so, Yaniv. Some of the images of my version. The last was a test flight of a Triton and a HQ2 in train!

Triton from into the Wind by Barry Carpenter, on Flickr

Anchor Meadow2010-11-10_00046 by Barry Carpenter, on Flickr

KAP kites1 2011-01-24_00003 by Barry Carpenter, on Flickr
  • edited April 2012
    I liked my Triton very much... until it plunged down without warning taking my Nex5 for a swim :-(
    I flies really well in low winds... most of the time. But' I don't trust it anymore. I use a large light Rokkaku now.
    Did your camera survive, John?

Cheers, Hans.
  • Flying at low winds, it is seemingly easy. With a large sail area, anything can happen. The tail with the light wind kite is probably a misunderstanding. It is after all the additional load. Probably rokkaku and dopero are in this area unbeatable?

Piotr
  • edited April 2012
    The camera survived. I put a photo of the camera, Minolta Dimage 7, and picavet here. It weighs 2 lb. 7 oz. complete.
  • edited April 2012
  • Puffin is right , don't be afraid to experiment with the bow line and towing point knot position. It IS a low wind kite after all. I was caught out when I first had mine by compressed wind at the top of a hill. I had the whole rig spinning round 500 ft of straight taught line 'till it all came down. Served me right, I knew all about this phenomenon from flying kites for years. You just have to get used to any new kite's peculiarities.
    I love my Triton but it works best for me as a slack line kite.