The 150 lbs woven Dacron line parted and my loved and trial tested Dopero kite flew off across the Atlantic Ocean….with my BBKK AuRiCo Auto KAP rig and Canon S100 still taking pictures….hanging underneath.
While gathering a few close shots of my Levitation Light delta kite with a new dynamic spreader….the wind suddenly shifted and the two kite lines crossed…..the Levitation Light delta was flying off my heavy beach kite line (250 lbs. test)…..The Dopero was tied off with my 150 lbs woven Dacron attached to my WW Stratospool.
It took all of 3 seconds. I knew the risks. It still hurts.
A few of my family members and friends were with me….
We watched as the Dopero drifted out over the Atlantic Ocean (land breeze) blowing a steady 15 mph straight out over the Ocean.
I contemplated chasing the kite down in my Kayak ….but my Dopero had other ideas….it kept on flying….the weight of the rig and camera provided just enough drag to keep the kite in the air…flying free. I followed the kite for as long as I could with a pair of binoculars that I always carry. The kite would flatten out and loose altitude….then pick up some drag and lift back up. I was glad that I had several thousand miles of a safety box. I suspect the first lull in the wind the kite will quickly descend, hit the water and sink….. or maybe…..drift over North Africa and float into the hands of a new KAPer….3,500 miles away!
We watched for close to 15 minutes till the kite was out of site….heading due East over the Atlantic Ocean.
Lost at Sea:
- Bit of pride
- One well used (500+ flight) Dopero Kite
- Lots of SkyShark tubing in the Dopero
- Custom modifications in the Dopero
- One well used BBKK Auto KAP rig
- One AuRiCo controller
- One Gentles IR trigger (for Sony NEX-5)
- One Canon S100….still taking pictures
- About $1000 worth of KAP gear….
I am planning on taking a few days to map out replacement strategies…
- New kite….looking for 1-2 Doperos
- Replacement KAP rig…..Auto KAP….or take the dive for a fancier approach
- New camera…..different directions….or stay with tried and true….CHDK SDM capable cameras
- The small stuff – new IR trigger….
- The big stuff – convincing my wife to spend (invest) in some new gear
- Getting to know my legacy cameras again….Canon G9, Canon S95….
- Getting to know my nano KAP rig (Go Pro Hero 3 on a string) ….currently my only flight capable camera.
Lesson learned….be careful crossing kite lines…..risk we take. I have lost cameras, kites, rigs in the past…but not the whole lot in one go….with no recovery.
I invite my fellow KAPers to comment on the above…..and to recommend some replacement gear:
- KAP cameras
- KAP rigs
Feeling the pain….