Gear and Shaft of the Rig

Hello KAPers,
Nice to meeting you again..... This is a simple or even a silly question, but still I want to know.
How do you guys attach your a custom made Pan Gear to the Centre Shaft that carries the Rig and the Shaft to the Picavet. I found bit difficult while doing mine. They have to be very tight, to produce a Pan motion.
I found easier to to attach the Shaft with the Picavet as many did, but found bit difficult with my Pan Gear to get attached firmly to the Centre Shaft.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• I attached the gear directly to the picavet frame and the PAN shaft. It's the rig that turns around the pan shaft. I'll try to post photos later.
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks @Blakebill91 and @Yvonh.... But what I meant was, How would you make the Gear not to move/slide away/slip away from the shaft, while panning? For ex.: You have attached a hook pin for the Picavet to hold the shaft, in the first picture. Will just the Nuts is enough to hold the gear? How to couple the Gear with the Shaft?
  • edited April 2015
    OK there are 2 gears involved. A drive gear (fixed to the servo) and and a driven gear (attached to the pan axle).

The drive gear is drilled to a tight fit on the servo spline. I found a countersink hole can be very effective in getting a good fit. It is screwed to the spline with a machine screw which is usually supplied with the servo. The servo is held in place by an (adjustable) plate to achieve alignment of the gears.

The driven gear is fixed to the pan axle. The axle is usually a long bolt. The gear is held in place by nuts above and below it (I use Nyloc nuts) which need to be locked in place to stop the gear 'unwinding' up or down the the bolt. Counter tightened 'back' nuts can be used to fix the gear in place instead of Nyloc ones.

The driven gear and its axle are held in place by a gear guide (you can buy these from Brooxes) which retains the centre at the top. I made one from 2 L section pieces. The meeting faces of the nut and guide are protected by washers:

Attaching the suspension is by Nyloc nut above and below the picavet cross...or in my case a piece of square section to take a pendulum mount.

The pendulum is a tube which fits over the mount and is fixed by an R clip through a hole drilled through both parts.

More here: https://billboyheritagesurvey.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/pan-gear-details/

• Thanks @Blakebill91 ..... Now I got your point.
  • Iny case the driven gear is fastened to the picavet with 2 or 4 screws. The picavet and the gear are tighten on the pan shaft with nuts.
  • Here's how my pan axle is constructed:

Pan Axle

Axle Assembly

Axle Components

(In the last picture, the gear shown already has a standoff pressed into it.)

I discovered that the gears from Servo City with 1/4" holes will press fit perfectly onto a 1/4" diameter threaded aluminum standoff. (I use my bench clamp to press them together but a simple C clamp works, too.) When these two are paired, they thread onto a #8 screw with the standoff forming a narrow bearing surface between the screw head and gear bottom. I then assemble this on a piece of aluminum through a 1/4" hole. The axle turns freely but can't slide up or down at this point. The 1/2 inch length of the standoff isn't quite enough to engage the top support of the pan bracket, so I augment it with another 1/4 inch standoff that's unthreaded. The result, again, is a freely turning bearing surface with little play. A nut at the top of the stack is tightened to lock everything in place on the screw.

This works so well because the 1/4" hole in the gear is actually slightly smaller than 1/4". I think it's intended for exactly this sort of press fit application. And the 1/4" holes I drill in my aluminum pieces are a bit larger than a true 1/4" because my drill press technique is pretty shoddy. :-) So everything works out just perfectly to make a pan axle.

Digikey sells the standoffs I'm talking about. I bought a pack of 50 and I'm now set for life.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/hardware-fasteners-accessories/board-spacers-standoffs/2098158?k=aluminum+standoffs&pv750=255&pv741=152&FV=1a380001,fff40020,fff803ee,1cbc0026&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
  • edited February 2016
    That's the way I make my rigs :
    Drilling a hole in the frame of the rig and insert a threaded sleeve. It lets the axle go through the sleeve. The cog-wheel and gear are set as shown on the pictures.

More explanations on the page becot.info/rigs/anglais/Erotation.htm