Anchoring, tying off, and wot knot.

13»

Comments

• I would just like to add that putting anything like a radio control or kite holding strap around ones neck is asking for trouble. I never put any kind of a loop around my neck that I can't put one arm through at the same time.
  • edited July 2007
    This is what I use
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Easy to undo, just give the line a pull.
  • Very good point, Jerry.

Michael 99: I don't understand your picture. What's the carabiner/block arrangement for? And as I look at it, simply pulling on any line won't get you anywhere; the slip knot will just tighten on the biner. Plz explain.
  • Sorry broox, I take the knot off the biner first, then pull the line to undo the knot. I put the line through the block, tie spool end down, then pull kiteline to bring down the kite. That way, you can meet with the camera before it hits the ground. That is the idea anyway.
    Michael_99
  • edited November 2007
    I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

I have a "business" beach trip planned at the end of the month. I should have some spare time to fly some kites while I'm there. However, I have never anchored in sand. The biggest kite I have is a 9 ft Delta. From what I've read, I think I will use a dog leash to wrap around my waist line for that one. I have a 7 ft Delta that I bought from craigslist.com for $5 that has never been flown by me or the previous owner. Then, I have two 3.5 ft Deltas that I would like to fly. If possible, I would like to fly all at the same time.

The 3.5 ft Deltas can't lift anything but themselves really. But, I would still like to anchor them down anyway somehow. I just haven't figured out how. Since I have never flown the 7 ft Delta, I'm not sure how hard it pulls. So, I'm not sure how I will anchor that one down either.

This "business" trip is at the end of the month. So, I don't think I have time to order the typical 3X3 sand anchor that a few online kite shops sell and get it delivered in time with the holiday.

I have considered tote bags for the small deltas and my vehicle's hitch for the 7 ft Delta. But, I would like any other suggestions.

3.5 ft Deltas are the typical premier kites' "easy flyers"
    7 ft Delta looks like it will be a high angle flyer
    9 ft Delta is a Levitation Delta from intothewind.com

I also have two stunt kites I'm not very good at flying yet.
  • In my experience, deltas fly at a high angle and so don't pull as hard as, say, a Rokkaku or flowform. So anchoring them shouldn't be a big deal. I would try a plastic 1 gallon milk jug filled with water or water and sand. Just tie off the kite to the jug's handle somehow. And if you dig a hole in the sand to set the jug in, it isn't likely to slide down the beach.
  • Excellent. I was thinking about 5-gallon buckets with a metal handle for the 7 ft. Delta. I wasn't sure if that would be enough or overkill. But, I know that the 3.5 footers probably wouldn't even move a brick if anchored to it. Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds very do-able.
  • Pillow cases or similar filled with sand work just fine. Just a simple square of fabric (say 1 meter sq) with a knot in each corner would work too. All of that folds up a lot more easily than buckets and jugs.

http://www.brooxes.com/
  • Thanks for the pillow case suggestion too. I think I'm going to go ahead and use the tote bags, like I had originally planned. I just wasn't sure if they'd be enough for what I needed. The bags I'm referring to are the heavyweight canvas type that can be used for groceries. They should be easy to fold up and store too. The bags will be for the smaller kites. The 9 ft Delta with KAP, if anchored, will be anchored to me.
  • Further to Broox idea, an old pair of jeans, tied off at the leg and filled with sand. You can use the belt hooks for tying off the kite. Likewise rubble sacks from your local hardware store. Make sure they are thick plastic, so don't rip too easy. Then tie an anchor line round the top and pull tight and tie off the kite to the anchor line.
  • edited November 2007
    This is what I've used and have had no bad experiences with. However, because there is tension on the line, I haven't used this knot on my 9 ft Delta yet. I figured out how to replicate or duplicate it by tying it in a different way or order.

http://members.aol.com/good heavens/biner.html

I'm sorry if you already know this. I just thought it might be helpful to those that didn't know it yet, like myself.
    What I did was, with tension on the line, clip on a carabiner without any twists. Then, I twisted the carabiner to duplicate the first twisted loop used in this knot. Then, with the line going to my line on the hoop, I was able to easily make the second twisted loop with the slacked line and attached it to the 'biner.
    The carabiner knot made simple.

I know pictures are helpful. I may add some later.
  • Looks good to me.

For future reference, if you post a comment in HTML format, you need to use HTML syntax -- but curiously, if you post a comment as text, the necessary syntax will be added automatically to links therein. Like this one, posted as text:

http://www.brooxes.com/
  • edited November 2007
    Broox, I tried using text format. However, the url automatically changed the above link as an incorrect address by changing "members" to something else. The link below doesn't link the whole address after the "@". So, this message will also be sent as html.

I have added my photos of how I will now use the carabiner knot on my anchors. I used a dark towel and bright twine for contrast puroses.

It's in my "Knots" set on my flckr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20485223@N07/
  • For flickr pics the address line URL breaks at the @ symbol here in the forum. Best way is click on "all sizes" in flickr and pick up the URL from the size that you choose, scroll down - you'' see the url ready in a box to select. then copy/paste. That way seems to work best.
  • I seldom tie off but when I do I just wrap a turn around the horn of my bobbin and snap a carabiner through the handle. If I am caught with a lot of line on the ground it gets to be a challange. How do you gracefully make up one of these great carabiner knots with one hand while wrestling a kite pulling the other?
  • I fly a 9ft Delta with a halo/hoop. It's pull has never been too much too handle. However, when there is enough pull for the line to be really tight, I plan to use the method I described. It should be easier. By twisting the 'biner already on the line, the hard part is done. The next part should be easier since the other loop comes from the part of the line that is slack. With the halo/hoop, I can put one arm through the center hole and hold it against my body at the same time I'm holding the carabiner. I know it sounds more complicated than it is.

Thanks, Simon. I'll try that.

Ernest
  • edited September 2014
    Hey sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am reading through old stuff to learn, thought I would share this nifty Figure 8 I found:

The Rock Exotica Micro Descender. (you can get 'em on amazon)

http://www.rockexotica.com/products/descenders/all_descenders.html

It's a figure 8 with a built in cleat on one side. Used by Rappelling climbers to get a hands free belay. For me, I hope to avoid hard pulling situations, but I think it would still be handy with a web belt or sling to just cleat off the line when you need to use both hands for something.. or provide the function of a Henry's handle but better pack size. Also as a figure 8, you could use it to get some serious mechanical advantage if needed (this one allows you to do one more bend around the cleat for even more resistance if needed.

Granted, putting a figure 8 onto a hard pulling thin line could be risky for for fingers with a standard figure8. With this rig though you could clip the big loop to the carabiner, cleat the line then work the "running" or non-tension end of the line though the figure 8.. then switch the 'biner to the correct, smaller hole (or clip to a second carabiner, unclip the first.) Uncleat and you have introduced the figure 8 to the line while not under tension.

oh and point taken on having a way out if you are going to tie the kite to yourself..
    Gerber 30-000637 GDC Hook Knife
    seatbelt/line cutting knife kept on the Figure 8's carabiner.