Rig for controlling camera tilt

I note that some of you guys have rigs where you can control the pan and tilt of the camera externally from the ground. Ive tried doing a search on this subject but didn't come up with much in the way of results. Maybe I used the wrong keywords. How exactly, do you produce these rigs? i assume they're all DIY - made from various parts rather than a single store-bought product. For a project I'm working on, I just need tilt for the time being. Are there any useful links for building these kinds of control systems? Though I admit my knowledge of electronics is just about 0 so that may not help.

Comments

• Did you look at what Peter posted ??
    I assume you are still talking working with a pole.
    The possibilities are almost endless.

Effective, though not tidy: a tilt using Peter's offering as inspiration, a battery box, servo, and a
    wired servo controller would allow you to tilt from the end of a wire ( auto shutter release..).
    Pan-the-pole by hand will give you the pan feature....

Click Pan Pro, offered by James Gentles could give you a very neat system that would automate
    your features, including shutter release.

How deep do you want to get in to this ? You might find it a lot easier to lower the pole and periodically
    change the tilt. I am working on a pole rig for a 30' painter's pole. The DSLR will raise and lower on
    the pre- erected pole. Too heavy to lift on the end of a pole ...
  • The key question is how much are you prepared to spend? There are fancy tilt rigs for cameras (like this one) if you have the money. On the other hand you can build one yourself for less than £30 if you are prepared to do a bit of soldering and have access to a 3D printer (see the PAP rig here and here. As Paul says, Peter at KAPSHOP sells rig kits that will do the job.
    What country are you in?
  • I must have missed Peter's post. Is there a link somewhere? And yes, this is in relation to the pole. In addition to a battery box, servo and wired servo controller, I guess I'd need a remote control as well?

Is it similar to this setup?

I'll have to check out Click Pan Pro as well. Though I don't really need to automate everything. All I want is to be able to control the camera tilt remotely. That's all. My Panasonic G6 has a wifi function apparently and that should allow me to view what the camera is seeing and change settings and take a photo with the appropriate app on my Samsung tablet.

Yea lowering the camera and pole and then manually adjusting the tilt is doable but that would be a nuisance if I had to do that a number of times just to get my desired composition. It would be up and down, up and down, up and down etc. Obviously, if you were supporting the pole by hand, you could just tilt the whole thing back and forth but my plan is to attach the pole to a tripod so it will be in a fixed position.

Regardless of what equipment I use, I need something that will support the weight of my Panasonic G6 and Samyang 12mm f2 lens. Ive noticed some ready-made pan and tilt units on eBay for affordable prices but looks like they can only accept phones and ultra light weight cameras. The ones designed for heavier cameras are way too pricey for me.
  • Peter's is the last entry on your " Carp Rods" question.
    Answer Dave's questions above and someone may be able
    to " steer " you, then it's up to you to research this site.
    A rig on a pole is not too different from one on a kite.
    Just inverted....
  • edited August 4
    Paul, I did read Peter's post in my carp pole thread. Peter was discussing different types of poles suitable for PAP. There was no mention of control systems for manipulating camera tilt in that particular post. I also looked at the linked website and saw more information about poles. I might have to explore the site further to see if there are control systems on the website as well.

Dave, I didn't see your post until now. You must have posted close to the same time that I did. The ready made pan and tilt units are too expensive for me. I want to do things the cheap way. However, as Ive stated before, I know almost nothing about electronics. That link you provided with details about the programming and the circuit board looked pretty complex and technical. I admit that much of it went over my head. The procedure to acquire remote tilt looked somewhat simpler in that video I posted above but there are still a few things with that one that I'm not clear about. Like binding the equipment to the transmitter so that they talk to each other. Would the method shown in the video still be relatively cheapish? I don't know if they're using a high end transmitter in that clip - it looks similar to the ones used with some rc quadcopters.

Though I do see a potential dilemma if I use that option (demonstrated in the video) in conjunction with the wifi on the M4/3 camera. There is a fair chance that the transmitter might use 2.4GHz which is the same frequency that wifi uses. If that's the case, there could be a small chance of interference. If I'm in a situation where I get lack of control on the tilt because of that interference, there's probably one thing I can do. And that is look at the camera view on the tablet screen and try and determine how much tilt it needs. Then temporarily turn off the tablet (shutting off the wifi connection) and then input the approximate amount of tilt that I think I need on the transmitter (while being blind with no picture) and then turn the tablet back on and see if everything is back to normal.

With regards to building a rig, I don't have access to a 3D printer but I could use wood instead - like they did in the video I posted.
  • Don't worry about interference between 2.4GHz wifi (or bluetooth) and 2.4GHz radio control equipment. I regularly test my 2.4GHz R/C transmitters and rigs in my study which has 2.4GHz bluetooth mice (2) and keyboards (2) as well as 2 Imacs connected to broadband via 2.4GHz Wifi and a wifi'd Raspberry Pi hooked up to my 3D printer.

The Maker video you posted does not require electronic skills, but you would have to buy some R/C equipment - a transmitter, a receiver, a servo and some NiCad or NiMh batteries. If you bought these second hand they shouldn't cost you more than £40 at most. Worth pointing out that given you only need one channel (for tilt) you can buy a 3 channel pistol type TX of the type used for boats and cars. New these cost less than £12 from China.
  • edited August 4
    Dave, good to hear your observations of using rc transmitters in close proximity to bluetooth and wifi. I was thinking of those instances of people using action cameras with wifi enabled on rc quadcopters and losing control of the aircraft. Though people reckon there's only a very small chance of that happening.

I'll have to keep a lookout for bargains on those rc items you mentioned. That transmitter you linked to looks a fair bit like the one I used with my $20 rc boat. And I'm guessing that I'd need the right kind of receiver - one that's compatible with one of those simple three channel transmitters? Also, would any servo do or would I need a particular type?

• edited August 4
    Ive just thought of a potential issue that could arise with the suggested build in that video above. Hope there's a simple solution to this. As illustrated, you use a 1/4 inch bolt through a piece of wood to secure the camera within the wooden frame. When you finish rotating the camera on that bolt (when it's flush with the wood) how can you prevent the camera from facing the wrong way? After rotating, wouldn't the camera be facing a totally random direction? It could end up facing the side of the frame etc or some other unwanted angle. I hope that makes sense.
  • Might provide some answers for your question. https://www.facebook.com/pg/papirsarkanyoslegifoto/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1197155110334182 Smooth winds for you all
    Cheers
    Komi
  • edited August 5
    If your goal is to have an adjustable tilt on the top of a pole a piece of kite line or similar just might do the job in combination with some free gravity and a Photomop+.
  • Komkite, thanks for the photos.

Peter, I'm curious how a kite line would assist with the tilt on a pole. Also, what exactly is a Photomop?
  • You can find all information on the PhotoMop+ here: http://www.kapshop.com/Lifters-Pole/Mast/c75_36/index.html

Now suppose you have a PhotoMop+S and add a horizontal arm to one of the 2 vertical arms. At the end of that extra arm you tie a line that runs all the way down. If you tighten the line the tilt angle of the rig will change. Undo the line at the bottom and gravity will return the camera to the original position.