Do you frequently find yourself hanging on for grim death, if so....

edited September 2010 in General
What line are you hanging on too? Im sure my life in Construction makes me lead towards the heavy side, but i noticed the other day my Dopero Maxi was more at home in 1.1Mph wind and 250lb line than it was with my 380lb rope. But later when the wind picked up i wished i had left the 380lb on, finding myself listening to the line singing and struggling to pull it in with my dodgy grip, not helped by a leather glove. I'm thinking of splitting the difference or am i totaly under estimating the strengths needed?

Comments

• A 250 lbs line in good condition is strong enough to hold the Maxi. Of course line strength goes down due to the knots needed but I doubt this kite will ever pull more than 50 lbs in "normal" conditions.
  • I'm using #200 braided Dacron. I've put my line through a rough time, and then some. But Peter is right: It's rare to put more than #50 pull on a line. If conditions are nice, I'll tune my kite choice so I get a little over the pull I need to lift my rig. The geometry of my winder more or less means if there's more than #10-15 of pull on the line, I can't wind down. Once I hit that point, I land the kite and switch to a higher wind kite. But yeah, you're right: conditions are rarely nice, and occasionally I've found myself holding the tiger by the tail. Under those conditions my kites typically give up before the line. My Dopero goes off to one side and basically de-tunes. My Rokkaku will pop the spine pocket and de-tune. Both my Flow Forms will invert and dive at the ground if they over-power. I have yet to subject my Fled to any such treatment, thank goodness. But in none of these cases has the line been the thing to go first. I'd go with Peter's advice.

Tom
  • Hi Brian - raise your right hand and repeat after me: "I will always wear a substantial glove when flying kites large enough to lift a camera." You don't want to know what that line can do to your bare hand if it starts sliding through your grip.

I fly all of my kites on 100 Kg line because it seems easier to handle. For years I have carried a 10 Kg spring-based fish scale and I hook it up to the line periodically. I find that when the scale is maxing out at 10 Kg of pull it is time to put up a smaller kite.
  • edited September 2010
    @Tom I have two Jones Roks on order. Question what is de-tune? Many thanks...
  • Funny with the mention of fishing scales i am suprised i have have never measured the figures involved myself. I am sure part of my worries are linked to the condition of my right arm, if that starts to ache and the line sings i think i must be close to a limit and expect something to happen, but nothing ever has. They all seem to rage on the end of what looks and feels like steel line, only once has the Rok split a spar and came down like a leaf. All my kites are large at the moment as most of my flights are early or late in the day, and i am sure my construction is over spec in all areas. My Flo seems to be my daytime kite but construction is soon to start on smaller versions of the Rok and the Dopero to give me more choice. My next purchase will be some fishing scales, what a diverting hobby Photography has turned out to be, followed by some new 250lb line as i noticed some slight fraying at the weekend after some tree pruning.
    My glove is the next thing on the list of things to do after i have attached the line, and i tend to end up doing this one handed as the wind seems to pick up just at that moment. My dog Albert will walk across the kite without any thought and shows no fear on launch even if he is sat under it but i have yet to train him to sit on it while his dad gets his glove on. A big thanks for the advice, i just wish the Doctor was a bit quicker with he's and i can get my arm sorted if its possible, as it is a daily worry.
  • Holding the Tiger by the tail (Benedict) seems like it needs a section of its own, Odin on a needle does it for me
  • @Jeff - That will be a non-issue for your Roks.
  • @ inafrica de-tune is when the kite is unflyable due to a spar coming loose or breaking, a bridle snapping or a large Eagle hurtling through your sail, you get the idea :)
  • @Jones...Cannot wait sir...

@Spex...Thanks for the info...
  • Ive just been out with my 8' Rok on my 250 line, wind 0/5mph, occasional singing on the line but any thoughts of imminent disaster have been quashed, cheers all. Damn thing still got a wiggle tho :(
  • I think I've shared this photo and accompanying story before in this forum...but for new KAPers out there...I can't imagine not wearing gloves. The trick is finding the right ones. Note that there are a number of good threads in this forum on that topic. These gloves, incidentally, are not the right ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theyoungsonline/2464688692/

(I use 150, or 200/250 lb line depending on the kite and the conditions)
  • Hahahahaha! Ok, so my definition of de-tune is more closely related to sailing. In that context it basically means the set of your sail is not ideal for the wind you're getting. For example, you're on a beam reach (wind coming in from one side of the boat and blowing toward the other side) and you either sheet in hard or let your sail out. You're not getting the maximum power out of your sail at that point. De-tuned.

When a kite is way off to one side of the wind window, that's basically what it's doing. I'm just not using the right terminology for kites. (What IS the proper term?)

Mike is right: The way his spar pockets are designed, you can't pop a spar on his rokkakus. (Mike, by the way, I got a chance to see, set up, and fly one of your roks. NICE KITES!)

On the subject of gloves, I burned through a set of sailing gloves, and wound up getting a pair of leather roping gloves from the local hardware store. They've been through worse hell than the sailing gloves ever saw, and I'm still using the same pair.

Tom
  • Tom- I'd say that 'overpowered' is the term most widely used to describe that. There are others. As far as 'proper' terms, there are 4-5 names for just about everything in kiting. I understand what you are talking about. You're understood and that's what matters most. Glad you finally had your chance to check one out. Thank you for the compliments! It sounds like it's in a good home.

Mike
  • On a similar note, I've found my self in really strong winds - really high up - with very little down below. Thus I have found it hard to properly adjust my rok to the higher winds up there (to the point where the kite is actually getting blown back down nearly to the ground by the incredible winds.

What is your suggestion for bridal adjustment? Move it further up or further down?