Reels

2»

Comments

• I have used parts from Chinese winder. You can collapse a string, with the kite behind his back. Two years of experience and I only use stratospool.

BKT

image image
  • Hello stratospool experts,

My first stratospool is on its way :-) The frame is ready, the concave spool is varnished, the cheap skateboard wheels (handles) from China arrived...

I'm still not exactly sure how to bolt the spool to the frame... Just use a long bolt with spacer rings where needed (obviously some between the frame and the spool)? Will metal spacers do? I'm thinking of putting a 8 mm aluminum tube in the spool and use a 6 mm bold inside the tube...

Maybe a stupid question... do I need 'break pads' even when I omit the brake part? I guess that it it necessary to avoid wood on wood friction?

Thanks! Hans.
  • edited January 2015
    Hans - Welcome to the stratospool club!

Per your questions:
    - I use either a 5/16 inch or a 1/4 inch hex bolt typically 5-6 inches long (depending on the width of your reel + the with of your vertical bar + with of brake pad spacers + space for hex locking nut.

- I do not use any spacers.

- I do use teflon glide pads (same as you use to put on the bottom of heavy furniture to slide them across the floor). I attach these directly to the vertical bar on either side of the main axle close to the outer diameter of the reel (this is where the reel rubs against the vertical bar).

- As noted, I do not use the classical break but I do use the break pads - more for stability, less wood on wood friction and easy winding.

See pictures below of the Stratospool # 12 below. Did some field testing today....bit of a story coming....

The first picture shows the reel from the top. You can see the axle bolt going threw the reel and vertical bar with the stopper nut attached. You can also see the break pads. The last picture also shows the overall stratospool and you can see the rough location of the two break pads (white area on vertical bar).

Hope this helps.

WW

First string Stratospool # 12

• WW -- what are the brake pads made from?
  • edited January 2015
    As the brake pads, I use, felt pads under furniture
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluekiteteam/8694033203/in/set-72157626273244481

BKT

• OK OK very good BKT and WW !!

so I have to make my Stratospool,.... cannot live without,.....

a very good tool for these kind of works has just been offered at the fantastic price 40 euros for a tool set at LIDL end 2014, works quite well ; sorry the link is in italian, but just to show what kind of tool :

http://fandilidl.it/volantino/2014.12.04.fai.da.te/4521,Fresatrice,verticale

SMAC from Italy
  • Thank you WW & BKT!
  • edited January 2015
    Thread the screws holding the spool, should be protected 'THREADLOCK'.

BKT

image image image
  • Almost done :-) Need to add the strap, and probably a metal thingy to guide the line (I mad a hole for it as experiment, but I guess the line will cut the wood (oak))... The reel is loaded with 300 m 300lb dynema line

Stratospool 1, almost ready...
  • Well done, Hans. Such a piece of string is very practical, blockade off the spool.

• edited January 2015
    Hans - looks great. Please pass along how well it works in the field.

BKT - like the simple string approach to hold the reel.

Below are a few more shots showing the break pad detail. (Cris, not certain but it looks like the direct flickr past is not working...)

Stratospool 12 Stress Testing

• For very lazy, stratospool-mini ;O)

With this glue, screws are unnecessary ;O)

• Like the approach. How has it held up under stress?

WW
  • Jim,

Stratospool-mini is to work with weaker winds. The lever is very short, and is not suitable for difficult conditions. This glue is really strong. Wood looks like a grown together. In "normal" stratospool, I recommend additional support structure with screws or bolts :O)

BKT

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluekiteteam/sets/72157626273244481/
  • edited January 2015
    I did my spool with wood glue. In some other wood things I made my experience is that the glue is stronger than the wood (it does not break on the glue). We'll see how quickly a stratospool #2 is needed... :-)
  • First stratospool impressions...

Wind: stiff, irregular, BF 4-5, kite: PFK, line: 1mm 300lb dynema, 200 m out, pull 1-5 kg

- Nothing broke or was deformed :-)
    - above 2 kg (4 lb) I would not have been able to rewind the line with my usual 'skate wheel' kite winder. At 4+ kg would not have been possible to rewind this line (1 mm dynema) manually on the 'skate wheel' kite winder , it slips in the glove...
    - At low line tension the skate wheel' kite winder is more comfortable (smaller, lighter) and faster (larger diameter an lower inertia)
    - My frame is too short (65 cm / 25") (while standing, while sitting it would be okay) to be comfortable (pain in the left arm/shoulder due to force the thing down constantly). I'll make an new one 20 cm (8") longer.